Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Spring Tea Party

**Edited~ I wrote this post yesterday morning (Tuesday- it's now Wednesday afternoon) but before I could get the pictures in it, our power went out. Over 22 hours without power makes it challenging to keep positive thoughts in one's head.) **


Well, yesterday began in a whirlwind of vacuum cleaner hoses, feather dusters and pressed linens. Even the farmboy helped out in the cleaning frenzy. All of this was in preparation for the "Spring Tea Party"!

You know, one of the things I've learned as I have gotten older (and wiser) is to love life for it's imperfections. Yesterday was one of those imperfect days and yet, it was WONDERFUL! Well, except for the fact that my dad is sick... that's what started yesterday on it's way to imperfect.

My parents flew in last week and stopped here for the evening on their way to my cousin's wedding. They flew back in Sunday night and were supposed to be here until Tuesday morning before flying back to the island. So I planned for the tea party while they were here. Like I said the morning was a whirlwind of preparation activity. At around noonish my farmboy and I ran up to the grocery store to pick up some yummies for the party. While there we stopped for some sushi and coffee, because really who doesn't have a Caramel Macchiato with their shrimp rolls! Anyway, while sitting there my brother calls and tells me maybe I should bring my party to my sister's house, where my parents are staying, "because Dad just got back from the doctor's and there is a 50/50 chance he may have to go to the hospital and have surgery and we are all over here and mom and CJ really shouldn't leave in case dad gets worse"... and so on and so on! Somewhat typical of my dear little brother, he made it sound as if we were already gathering in black veils! Needless to say, it's not that bad... thank goodness!



We had to wait until E got out of school (last day!) and then gathered everything up and headed over there. Dad's looking pretty rough and his tummy hurts really bad, but his spirits are good and he keeps asking for a cherry cheese danish and coffee! Sorry Dad, Mom says only broth!

So in a mad rush, because by then it was already 3ish, I set up the tea party in my sister's kitchen, the little bug got all dolled up in her finest (white elbow gloves included!) and my sister ran around trying to get ready to go to a tea party then right off to play a softball game!

Once I had everything set up and we began, we had the best time! There wasn't a thing Whitney forgot when she put this party package together! The Jasmine Tea from China Town was repeatedly complimented... delish! And the "Tea Talk" game was an absolute HOOT! Seriously, we had so much fun answering those questions! It was really funny how we each kept drawing a question that really suited each of us individually!

In the end we had a tea cup meet its end when it crashed to the floor due to a flurry of excitement over goodie bags! As well as a thimble from a Friendship Punch-Favor. But no worries! Once we dried those sweet little tears all was well again and the fun continued!


Over all, it was the most perfect-imperfect tea party I have both ever given and ever attended!

8 comments:

Lori said...

what a gorgeous tea party!!! i want to have one now:)
is that your daughter? she is beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

SO lovely! And I adore your tea set, that is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

How's your Dad?? Your tea looked lovely and I'm glad you all had such a good time.

Whitney Johnson said...

Oh, Alisa, I'm so glad you were able to have your party, and that it went well (ish!). It was so much fun making that swap...
Now, I'm planning the Cotillion (spelling?) for my daughter who is turning 13 this year (she doesn't know it yet). All of us ladies in the family will get together...it's not until October, so I'll keep you posted. :)
Have a great time with your family!
Most Sincerely..

Sarah said...

What a wonderful tea party with your girls!
Sarah
Vintage Lily

Bristol said...

What a perfect tea party. Enjoyed visitng your blog.
Bristol

Sherry said...

Could you have anything better?!? I'd love to attend an imperfect perfect tea party! Everything looked wonderful!!

Sorry about your dad -- hope he's feeling better...broth isn't so much fun but sounds like it's the best plan!

And a caramel macchiato?!? Oh yes please!! A shrimp roll or anything sushi -- not so much and I can't imagine them together... :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely tea party wish I could have been there it all looked so wonderful and delish!!
Diane
http://dianobe.blogspot.com/