Monday, August 5, 2013

A Journal of Typography

I made a journal awhile ago.
 
 
And I shared a glimpse of it back in June.
I love this thing!
First off, this old day book is a fantastic and odd size of about 6"x15".
It's tall and skinny.
 
 
I thought it would be the perfect place for me to practice my hand lettering.
I sewed in four signatures of watercolor paper
and then got started on the intro page.
 
 
I added only a thin strip of paper to the inside cover, instead of covering the whole thing with paper.
There was something I found very pleasing about the original inside cover.
Maybe the contrast of the original paper color and the bright white of the watercolor paper.
I happened to have an antique sheet music cover page sitting on my desk next to me when I started to draw and found myself inspired by its graphics.
They made everything so pretty back then.
 
To say I am happy with my new place to practice lettering
is an understatement.
I'm pleased as punch.
 


7 comments:

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I love this so much I could scream.......

Lorrie said...

It's so lovely. You'll be inspired just by the book you practice in.

Charlene said...

I LOVE your book! I have been taking Joanne Sharps lettering class & I am so discouraged. I STILL HATE MY LETTERS! Yours are beautiful & deserve that pretty book.

Photocat said...

I wondered about that one. It will be great. Your lettering is fantastic already, so practicing more in this book will only turn it into a better art form. (Not that you need practice, don't misunderstand me...).
I am also admiring your stitches of the binding. So straight and tidy... How do you do it. ;o)))

Deb said...

Love your book binding!
Such a beautiful journal (love the unusual size) & gorgeous hand lettering ♥

kandeland said...

I'm just finally catching up over here Alisa, and I have to tell ya- you are inspiring me! Maybe I can get back on track and get creative again if I keep coming your way! Hope you are enjoying your summer..xo nat

Dorthe said...

It is just STUNNING - love your lettering and beautiful patterns, and also the binding in this long old looking beautiful book.
xo ,Dorthe