Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Scraps

I think, through the years of writing this blog , I have shared the true colors of my character
and have made it quite clear that yes,
 I am a paper hoarder.
I say that with my chin held high and, quite frankly,
without any shame.
I like paper.
I love pretty paper.
I own an abundance of paper.
And paper scraps.


With the making of the last half dozen or so of journals, I have bagged the leftover scrapbook paper.
So now I have half a dozen or so of bags of scrap scrapbook paper.
I also have large scraps of watercolor paper from said journals.

Last week I decided it was time to utilize one of these bags o' scraps and I made cards.
Because....
This past month I have been in need of a card, on several occasions, yet have not had any on hand nor the time to sit and make one. 
So last week, when I did have time, I pulled out a bag of scraps {from this journal} and made some.


I kept them super simple, which made making them super fast, with as little cutting as possible.
I had a little stack of scalloped circles, tucked away in a drawer, that I pulled out and used for a simple embellishment.
Now when the need arises for a card I can grab one, stamp or write an appropriate sentiment on the front
{or not and leave as is}
say what I have to say on the inside and send it off.

I know it's not a WIP, but I'm thinking I can group this project within that category and give myself a pat on the back.
I did use up a whole bag of scraps you know.


16 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

It counts to me. They're lovely.

Wanda said...

Good job. I agree with Susan..it so counts, but then again I am rather easy. By the way..I do suck and I will be thinking of you this weekend. :)

Shelley in SC said...

Great idea. These are fabulous!

knitterbeader said...

Good for you - making the cards ahead of time! They're beautiful. I've done quite a bit of scrapbooking in he past (however, it's now knitting full time it seems), and I use my scraps for cards, but invariably I'm hurrying around making one as the need arises. Having a stock on hand is so much smarter....guess I'll think about doing that.

Robin Thomas said...

Great, great, great! Of course you can pat yourself on the back.

Also give yourself a little swat on the butt from me.

Leanne said...

wow! these are gorgeous!

Lorrie said...

These are lovely, Alisa. I've been using up some of my scraps in the same way, but more patchwork style. What a great way to use up odds and ends. I think the circles are a great touch.

Margaret said...

Lovely set of cards, the colours are gorgeous, well done you for being prepared, I really should do more of this myself! Mx

margits bastelstube said...

hi alisa,
i like your blog, he ist beautiful!
an this cards are very fine! great idea....
many greetings from austria
margit

Anonymous said...

Alisa, Pat Winter just did a post on scraps too! Must be something in the air. And there's also a blog where someone is hosting what is called an ORT sharing. I think it stands for Old Ragged Threads. There are about 300+ people signed up already! LOL!
Here is the link:
http://itsdaffycat.blogspot.com/2011/11/totally-useless-stitch-long.html

Looks like this is contagious! LOL!

XO Diane

Tiedupmemories said...

Hey Alisa,
Beautiful papers I must say! I'm a paper hoarder too!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

VERY resourceful use of your stash. I know about that kind of stash all too well lol. I think I may need to "steal a page from your book" (pun intended) and do some of these with my ever-growing stash.

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Laurel's Quill said...

Where did the lost art of writing notes go? I know I lost it, but I love pretty cards..makes me want to send on:)

Marianne said...

Oh I so need to do this too!
Wonderful inspiration to use up what you have and make something beautiful and useful out of it. How lucky the recipients of those cards are.

Cheryl Carey Bass said...

I definitely think you should count it checked off as a WIP. Nothing is better than using what you have to make something wonderful - and these are. Simplicity is great sometimes because it means finishing! I'm sure not every Van Gogh sketch was a work of art (not to say your cards aren't). But in my opinion, sometimes it's NOT "all about the journey". Sometimes it's about "gett'er done." Just sayin'

the old white house said...

I love this idea... thinking ahead is not usually my strength. t.xoxo