Pages

▼

Monday, August 5, 2013

A Journal of Typography

I made a journal awhile ago.
 
 
And I shared a glimpse of it back in June.
I love this thing!
First off, this old day book is a fantastic and odd size of about 6"x15".
It's tall and skinny.
 
 
I thought it would be the perfect place for me to practice my hand lettering.
I sewed in four signatures of watercolor paper
and then got started on the intro page.
 
 
I added only a thin strip of paper to the inside cover, instead of covering the whole thing with paper.
There was something I found very pleasing about the original inside cover.
Maybe the contrast of the original paper color and the bright white of the watercolor paper.
I happened to have an antique sheet music cover page sitting on my desk next to me when I started to draw and found myself inspired by its graphics.
They made everything so pretty back then.
 
To say I am happy with my new place to practice lettering
is an understatement.
I'm pleased as punch.
 


7 comments:

  1. It's so lovely. You'll be inspired just by the book you practice in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your book! I have been taking Joanne Sharps lettering class & I am so discouraged. I STILL HATE MY LETTERS! Yours are beautiful & deserve that pretty book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered about that one. It will be great. Your lettering is fantastic already, so practicing more in this book will only turn it into a better art form. (Not that you need practice, don't misunderstand me...).
    I am also admiring your stitches of the binding. So straight and tidy... How do you do it. ;o)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your book binding!
    Such a beautiful journal (love the unusual size) & gorgeous hand lettering ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just finally catching up over here Alisa, and I have to tell ya- you are inspiring me! Maybe I can get back on track and get creative again if I keep coming your way! Hope you are enjoying your summer..xo nat

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is just STUNNING - love your lettering and beautiful patterns, and also the binding in this long old looking beautiful book.
    xo ,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! You and your comments are more appreciated than you know. Have a beautiful day!